Why you need a real Estate Professional
Given the proliferation of services that help home buyers and sellers complete their own transactions, you may have considered whether you should do it yourself instead of working with an agent. However, there is no substitute for an experienced professional, and taking on all the responsibility yourself could be more costly than an agent's commission in the long run.
According to the National Association of Realtors' 2021 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers, only 7% of home sales were accomplished as for sale by owners (FSBO), and of those, 57% knew their buyer personally. FSBO home sales had a median price of $260,000 in 2021, compared to the agent-assisted home sale median price of $318,000.
Beyond the price advantage of using an agent, homes listed by real estate professionals get more exposure and their sellers get more support.
Here are some other considerations:
- They're trained and licensed professionals.
- They have experience in your neighborhood and your market.
- They have oversight from brokers and state licensing officials.
- Their job is to advise you the best way to reach your goals.
- They know how to present your home and deal with buyers.
- They know how and where to market properties effectively.
- They know how to overcome typical snags that occur in real estate transactions and closings.
- They understand state-required disclosures and look out for your best interests.
- They understand personal safety and security for your belongings during showings.
- They know the best resources to make transactions go more smoothly, from bankers to home-stagers to contractors.
- They have access to the most accurate and comprehensive data - the MLS, the only data repository that has the most up-to-date listing and sales information.
- They know how to negotiate.
- Their job is making real estate transactions successful.
- Their continuing education keeps them up-to-date on housing issues.